With an increased shift to the web designing, most of the websites have started to establish images in the header areas. Remember that an image would always give more information and attract the readers rather than having a text.
For the newbies the WordPress, a header is a rectangular area which is present at the top of a home page which spread horizontally across the screen. These header images have become so important to a webpage that people would recognize the brand based on the headers. The recent version of the WordPress made this task a pretty easy one which would allow the users to customize their header sections.
What all can be entered to a header?
- Can upload an image with a logo of your business along with your location.
- An image reflecting the area of your business.
- Can depict an image to target your audience or the entire market.
The header on a website is in fact, a great positioning tool and plays a key role in the marketing strategy. It could change the entire look of your blog or website and give a new and refreshing feel to it.
Things to consider
- One of important thing to consider before adding an image to a header is the dimensions of the image. The basic thumb rule to remember is the width of the header. It is only 940 pixels wide. Keeping this into consideration, you can upload an image.
- Also you need to check if the theme selected by you in the WordPress would support the header images.
Step by step process
- On your WordPress home page, select the WP Admin tab which is available on the left hand side.
- This would lead you to the Dashboard page. To the left hand side of the page, you would be able to find all the components like store, posts, media, links, pages etc.
- There you can view the option, “Appearances”. Once you hover the mouse there, a popup would appear immediately next to it with different options like Themes, Customize, Widgets, Menu, Background, and Mobile.
- Select the “Customize”, option there.
- The “Customize” page would have different options in a tabbed interface to the left hand side of the page.
- There you can find the option “Header Image”. Once you click on that option, depending upon the theme that you have selected, you would be given instructions regarding the size of the image that you can upload.
- For example, the twenty fifteen theme recommends you to upload an image of 954X1300 pixels.
- Once you click on “Add Image” option, it would let you select an image from your photo library.
- After adding an image, you would be given an option to select and crop tab at the bottom right hand side corner.
- You can crop the image as per your requirement, or else you can use the option “Skip Cropping”
- Once you think the image you have updated and is meeting your requirement, click on save and publish.